History and Law references

The history of ENEA began in 1952 with the creation of the National Committee for Nuclear Research - CNRN at the CNR, which was then transformed into the National Committee for Nuclear Energy - CNEN in 1960, a field of research that saw Italy as a major actor thanks to scientists and cutting-edge technologies.

In the 1980s this original mission was progressively expanded to include environmental, renewable sources, and climate issues, arriving in 1991 at the creation of ENEA - Ente per le Nuove tecnologie, l'Energia e l'Ambiente (National Body for New Technologies, Energy and the Environment). Other regulatory initiatives followed in 1999, 2003 and 2009 when Italian Law no. 99 Provisions for the development and internationalisation of companies, as well as in the energy sector transformed ENEA into an Agency.

Subsequently, pursuant to art. 4 of Italian Law no. 22 of 28 December 2015, Environmental provisions to promote measures of green economy and to contain the excessive use of natural resources, its structure and mission were redefined to overcome the critical issues related to almost a decade of compulsory administration.

Finally, the Law Decree of 23 March 2016 of the Minister of Economic Development, in agreement with the Minister for  Environment, Land and Sea, returned the Agency to full operation and appointed Prof. Federico Testa as its Chairman and Board Alessandro Lanza and Mauro Libè as Directors of the Board.